Sunday, January 17, 2010

Second Entry of Non-Political Content

Although not knitting related but deal with it.

So one of the many things that people would not guess about me is that I love to make my own beauty products. No really. I am never happier than when I am mixing shit from the kitchen in anticipation of slapping it on my face. OK, sometimes I'm happier, but not often.

One of the best gifts I've ever gotten was a group of heavy clear plastic containers with screw on lids. Sadly I lost them in the move but they were a great place to store my beauty products.

So I found two new recipes for body scrubs and decided to try them both out in a head to head death match.

Dun DUHHHHH!!

So one is a brown sugar scrub and another is a raw sugar scrub. They are very similar except instead of using brown sugar in one you use raw sugar.

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup of White Sugar
1 Cup of Raw Cane Sugar (also called Sugar in the Raw)or brown sugar
3 or so Tablespoons of lemon juice
2 or so Tablespoons of oil. (I use extra virgin olive oil but any food grade oil will do)

Mix dry ingredients then add in wet ingredients until you get a paste. You're gonna be mixing for a while. It's almost impossible to keep this shit mixed. Take it into the shower and scrub it on dry. That allows for the most exfoliation.

You're gonna end up sticking to yourself, and the walls and your shower curtain. Also, the olive oil will not wash away as quickly as the sugar and can make things a little slippery so be careful. Sticking to yourself plus slippery tub floor has the potential to seriously hysterical and possibly emergency room visit resulting antics.

So I tried the brown sugar scrub on the left side and the raw sugar scrub on the right and to be honest there isn't much difference. The brown sugar version, with the lemon juice kinda made me smell like a Snickerdoodle which was cool I guess. The raw sugar scrub has less of a smell and the larger crystals of the raw sugar seemed to exfoliate more effectively. I would recommend the raw sugar scrub simply because of that but if you have super delicate skin I would go for the brown sugar.

OK, so that's not much of a death match. It was fun for me though.

Wash out your shower after you're done to get rid of the oil residue and wash your body as normal.

One of my other favorites is my aspirin facial mask. Take two or three uncoated aspirin some warm water, white sugar and a few drops of raw honey. Drip the warm water onto the aspirin until it starts to dissolve. Add a few drops of raw honey and a tablespoon or so of white sugar keep slowly adding water and honey until a paste is formed. Massage the paste onto the face, avoiding the eyes. Then get in the shower, scrub on your home made body scrub and do whatever for a few minutes. Your shower is your private time. I don't want to pry. Then scrub the mask gently off your face. The aspirin has a mild acid in it which can help the skin and I've found it help if you've got a zit or some inflammation.

Finally, olive oil = magic. I use it after my showers as a moisturizer, a base for most of my beauty products and , you know sometimes on a pizza or something. Try it. You'll like it.

Yeah, I had a little beauty day today. Now I'm feeling all pampered. It's loverly.

No comments: